Trail Name: Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space Trail
Location: Near Larkspur, Colorado
Date: December 25, 2019
Time at the Trail Head: 2:00 pm
Trail Length: 4.6 miles
Elevation Gain: 374 feet
Elev. at Trail Head: 6,828 feet
# of Hikers Passed: 11
# of Mnt. Bikers Passed: 0
# of Horses Passed: 3
I started this day out planning on going to the Devil’s Head Lookout trail but the access roads have been closed for the winter, so after being stopped by gates twice, I decided to head to a different trail.
Some friends had recommended the Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space trail, and since it is near my house, I thought I would try it out as my second option, and I am sure glad I did.
Drive to the Trail
The road to trail is one of my favorite to take in this area. It is Perry Park Road or Colorado State Highway 105. It is a wonderful drive from Sedalia to Palmer Lake, Colorado. It’s a nice relaxing drive situated at the base of the Rocky Mountains and the road winds through ranch land, homes and pine tree forests.
This is an area that my wife and I are seriously considering moving to in the near future.
My Day on the Trail
The trailhead parking lot is large and has two parking lots, one for cars and the other for horse trailers. There are also bathroom facilities at the trailhead.
It’s obvious that a lot of people use this trail to ride their horses, due to all the horse tracks that were visible. The horses tend to make the trail more muddy but probably 90% of the trail was dry and great to hike on.
I hiked the trail counter clockwise but I would recommend hiking it clockwise because, if you go left on the trail at the trailhead, you will hike alongside a road for a good mile and a half and this part of the trail has more snow, ice and mud then the remainder of the trail. I like to leave the best for last so remember to hike this one clockwise.
On north section of the trail, you will see some great views of Dawson’s Butte and also have some nice views of open fields with forests in the background with the foothills of the Rockies beyond that. The trail is muddy in some location so make sure you wear some waterproof boots, as this will make your hike much more enjoyable. I say this because my wife does not have waterproof boots yet and she hates going on trails like this as she has to walk carefully around a lot of areas, which makes here a little irritated.
Once you get to the northwest and west sections of the trail, you will enter some gorgeous pine tree forests. You won’t have many views of the mountains but the views in this forest are spectacular.
One of the reasons I like this forest so much is that the trees aren’t extremely close together and there is not a lot of brush on the forest floor, so you can actually walk on the bed of pine needles below the pine trees and not worry about being on the trail the entire time.
Some of you may not think this would be a great scenic area but I challenge you to take your time and stop at different locations to see if the forest beauty rubs off on you. I think you will grow to love how relaxing and comfortable this forest makes you. There are even some benches and picnic tables to stop and have some lunch, if you feel up to it.
Also, there is hardly any areas that are muddy and snow covered or hard to pass due to horse tracks (muddy tracks due to the horses) which makes this an extremely enjoyable hike.
There were several times on this hike when there were no mountain views, but I had to stop and take in the beauty of this Colorado forest. There are so many trails I have taken where the forest is thick and you can’t see much of anything while walking in it, but that was not the case in this forest.
I probably spent an extra hour taking my time to wander slowly underneath the pine tree canopy. I walked off the trail several times to meander around the trees and over the beds of pine needle.
There is only 374 feet of elevation change on this trail so it is essentially flat, even though folks that are not use to hiking at 6,000 feet may find they get winded a little as they hike up the trail.
The trailhead is actually the high point on trail so you have to hike down in elevation, no matter which way you go. The trail is 4.6 miles long, so give your self enough time to make the hike, plus be able to stop and enjoy the scenery without having hike quickly to get back to your vehicle.
I took more time on the trail to relax and enjoy the forest, plus to take pictures and videos, so the sun set on me before reaching my truck, but that also gave me a few nice photos of the setting sun over the Rocky Mountains.
This is another one of those trails that I ended up loving, after I assumed it wouldn’t be that impressive. It’s great that there are so many trails with a variety of scenery here in Colorado that there is a trail for everyone.
I did not need my ICETrekkers on this trail but having a great pair of waterproof boots is essential and my Leki trekking poles helped me a lot as I as hiking quickly at the end, up hill, to the parking lot. I wear the Oboz Bridger Mid B-Dry Waterproof hiking boots.
- Exclusive AERGON grip features a hollow core construction to save weight and create an edgeless, rounded grip for comfortable gripping at all angles especially for "palming" on steeper terrain. Thermo foam grip material for extra comfort, light weight and insulation in colder weather. Built in 8deg Positive Angle in LEKI grips keeps wrist in neutral position and provides more efficient pole plants.
- Air-textured "no bulk" security strap maintains design dimensions of grip; efficient wicking and fast drying; adjusts and secures strap adjustment without buckles. Extended foam grip for traversing and climbing. SPEEDLOCK 2 lever locking mechanism is simply THE strongest external locking system in the world as rated by TUV, and the only locking systems to meet the minimum holding force recommended by TUV.
- 100% High Modulus Carbon shaft sections for reliable, lightweight performance in all conditions. PE coated, Kevlar reinforced tension cord for long term reliability. ELD (External Locking Device) gives easy access to release the assembly tension of the pole for quick knock down and packing. Maximum tension between shaft sections made possible by internal (serviceable) spring in lower shaft.
- Carbon section ends are protected by machined Aluminum sleeves for extra long wear. Machined Aluminum connectors help to center shaft sections for quick, snag free assembly. LEKI's original Carbide Flextips provide secure hold on all terrain and surfaces for years of adventure; easily replaced in the field.
- Interchangeable basket system allows a variety of different sized LEKI baskets to be easily screwed on/off for different seasons/uses thanks to offset threads that keep the baskets securely in place.
- O FIT Insole: Our proprietary insole is what we're known for. Molded to match the specific shape and construction of every pair we make, this purpose-designed technology delivers the kind of fit, feel and performance that's unmatched in the industry.
- UPPER: Designed with the trail in mind, this nubuck full leather upper screams durability and protection. Featuring a molded rubber toe cap that protects your toes from trail debris and a heel counter that helps maintain a snug, Comfort heel hold over time.
- GRANITE PEAK MIDSOLE: Great for day hiking but burly enough for a multi-day backpacking trip. Featuring a TPU Chassis boosts stability and prevents stone bruising without inhibiting flex. Single-density EVA provides cushioning and comfort.
- GRANITE PEAK OUTSOLE: Our quintessential hiking outsole built to be supportive and protective. If you're tired of feeling rocks and roots underfoot look no further.
- B-DRY Waterproof/Breathable: There's no denying feet sweat and trails can get muddy. There's also no denying the ability of our proprietary waterproofing system, B-DRY, lets sweat escape while keeping moisture out.
Check out this short video of the Dawson Butte Ranch Open Space Trail on YouTube.
I would love to know if you have had any experience on this trail or have other trails you love to hike. Leave a Comment Below or send me an Email.
Return to Home Page
- The Amazon Essentials Women's Classic Chelsea Combat is available in a variety of colors, perfect for work & play! Designed for comfort with superior fit, the AE Chelsea boot will take you from day to night in style. Trendy and versatile these boots pair well with dresses & jeans!
- Easy slip on Chelsea boot with thick heeled outsole
- Padded insole with memory foam and latex for better comfort
- High quality elastic gore
- Approximately 3 inch heel with soft pitch
- WORKS AS HARD AS YOU DO: The Groundbreaker by Ariat are made for the long haul: strong, sturdy and styled with western detailing. The supportive cushioning, extra metatarsal protection and stability technology make them ideal for construction, warehouse, factory or farm work.
- THE SUPPORT YOU NEED: The Duratread outsole is both oil and slip resistant and the 90-degree heel gives you added support. Built for the hard-working man, these work boots provide maximum support and traction on any terrain without sacrificing comfort.
- EVERYDAY COMFORT: Along with the 4LR (Four Layer Rebound) technology for added comfort, these men's work boots also feature a mesh lining for added air flow and comfort and a 90-degree heel for extra stability. The extra comfort insole with 4LR technology has maximum cushioning with a higher rebound for added support.
- GREAT GIFTS: Shopping for your husband or boyfriend shouldn't be difficult, and with these durable work boots for men from Ariat, it won't be. Perfect for any task, indoors or out, the hard-working man can wear these comfortable boots all day long.
- Leather-like material with soft and smooth touch
- 5mm latex and memory foam padding
- An Amazon brand
- Package Dimensions: 17.78 cms (L) x 40.64 cms (W) x 60.96 cms (H)
- Product Type: Boot
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: Thailand
- 【🍓Gender: Women/Girl🍓】---------💙💙 men booties socks men booties shoes women booties and ankle boots martin boots for women martin boots for men cotton boots for men cotton boots for women ankle boots ankle booties ankle boots for women low heel ankle boots for men ankle boot clear transparent size 13 ankle boots for women low heel work combat boots ankle boots for women wide width ankle boots for women memory foam leather ankle boots for women flat lace up ankle boots for women
- 【🍓Material: Nylon+Rubber🍓】---------💙💙 women booties with buckles women booties open toe women booties fall women booties and ankle boots wide width women booties 8.5 women booties mid heel women booties 6.5 women booties size 9 shoes for women booties shoes for women booties brown shoes for women booties high heel shoes for women booties comfortable leopard shoes for women booties
- 【🍓 Shoes Heel High: 3cm/1.2''🍓】---------💙💙 men boots fashion men boots waterproof men boots work men boots casual men boot socks men boot cut jeans stretch men boot zipper men boot size 15 men boots fashion waterproof men boots waterproof steel toe men boots waterproof hiking men boots waterproof leather men boots work soft toe men boots winter black men boots casual men boots jeans
- 【🍓Closure Type: Slip-on🍓】---------💙💙 women snow boots women snow boots waterproof women snow boots size 11 women snow boots knee high women snow boots with traction women snow boot slip on women snow boots waterproof knee high women snow boots size 10 men snow boots men snow boots waterproof insulated men snow boots size 10 men snow boots size 9 men snow boots size 15 men snow boots wide men snow boot lightweight men snow boots waterproof men snow boots white
- 【🍓Season: Winter🍓】---------💙💙 womens booties and ankle boots ankle boots for women low heel open toe fashion ankle boots for women with heelankle boots for women martin boots for men composite martin boots for men steel toe martin boots for women white martin boots for women size 8 martin boots for men vintage martin boots for men slip on martin boots with heels martin boots ankle men martin boots for girls martin boots for boys martin boots platform low heel leat