Several years ago I started researching packs for day hikes instead of overnight backpacking trips. My son, daughter and myself had found that we like to get out in some new country and explore during the day, yet it’s nice to come back to a cabin or condo and get some good rest at night, and maybe even soak in the hot tub, take a swim or relax by the fire.
It was during this search that I came across these highly rated and versatile packs known as Osprey Talon packs. There are several sizes to choose from but we found that the 22 liter packs were small and light enough, yet had plenty of room for anything we wanted to take on our day hikes.
Osprey Talon 22 Pack Review
Here are the things I like about the Talon 22 Daypack:
- Durable Material
- Multiple Compartments
- Mesh Back Panel and Side Straps for Improved Breathability
- Trekking Pole Straps
- Side Strap Pockets
- Easy Access Compartment for Water Bladder
There are many other features to this pack but these are the features that I find the most helpful for me as I have taken this pack out on more then 15 hikes in the past 5 months.
Whether I’m hiking in the Summer, Fall or Winter, the pack is large enough and flexible to fit any of my hiking needs, no matter what time of the year I hike.
I have decided that the Colorado winters are not going to keep me from getting out in mountains and continue hiking, and I have been more then happy with how my Osprey Talon 22 pack has been the perfect piece of hiking gear for me, my son and my daughter. My daughter actually uses the Osprey Tempest 20, which is the women’s version of the Osprey Talon 22 and she loves her pack as well.
It has been so fun and incredible to share times on the trail with both of my kids. Sometimes there are friends and family with us but many times it’s just Father and Son or Father and Daughter time.
Osprey Talon 22 Features
Let’s break down the Osprey Talon 22 pack features a little more with some of the things that Osprey has to say about their pack.
- Designed with Lightweight Construction
- Useful Features for Fast Movers and Multi-Sport Activities
- Continuous Lumbar-to-Hipbelt Wrap
- Multi-Sport Focus
- Side Stretch Mesh Pockets
- Stretch Mesh Harness Slash Pocket
- Top Panel Zippered Slash Pocket
- Aluminimum Peripheral Frame
- Atilon Framesheet
- Lightweight and Comfortable Surfaces
- Mesh Covered Foam Harness
- Adjustable Sternum Strap with Safety Whistle
- Stetch Woven Harness Pockets
- ErgoPull Hipbelt Closure
- Seamless Lumbar to Hipbelt Body Wrap
There are even additional features then this but for the sake of time, I have limited this list to what has been the most important to me.
Here are a few photos of my Osprey Talon 22 on the trail.
There are 4 Colors to choose from.
I’m always happy to buy gear that is highly rated and has great reviews and then find out for myself that it really is all it was claimed to be.
I am more observant these days when on the trail to see what gear people are using and am quick to engage them in conversation to find out what they use and why it’s important to them.
I see other hikers on the trail that don’t have good gear and I understand we are all at different places in our lives and we can’t always buy the gear we want. I’ve been there before, partly due to ignorance and sometimes due to the bottom line in my checking account.
I must say though that the right gear is essential for happy hikers, backpackers and campers but more importantly for improved safety
- Dual-zippered access to main compartment
- External hydration sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately)
- Adjustable shoulder harness to dial in perfect fit
- Stretch mesh pockets on both sides of pack provide convenient storage for bottles and smaller items.
- Two zippered hipbelt pockets and LidLock helmet attachment
My daughter is on the Western Mountain Rescue team in Gunnison, Colorado, and she is always telling me stories of injuries and even events ending in the death of the hiker, which could have been avoided with the right gear or emergency satellite messengers.
I hope you take the time to research the gear that is right for you and if I can be of any help, please leave a Comment Below or send me an Email.
You can see a short video of the Osprey Talon 22 pack here.
Return to Home Page
- Large panel loading main compartment provides accessibility to inside contents
- Dual stretch mesh side pockets provide additional storage options
- The multi-function interior sleeve can be used for either a hydration reservoir or tablet.
- Front panel shove-it pocket is great for stashing a light rain shell and other smaller items
- Mesh-covered die-cut foam back panel provides both comfort and ventilation.
- Deployable backpack harness, shoulder strap and handles lets you choose your carry style
- Luggage pass-through for hands free carry
- Main bag is divided 1/3, 2/3 by a main zip and opens fully flat for easy packing
- Padded external zip access pocket for glasses or toiletries
- Rear panel access to padded laptop sleeve (up to 16" laptop)
- Meets carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines - Dimensions 21.5h x 14w x 9d IN.
- U-zip zip access to main compartment with lockable zippers on main and laptop compartments - 46L total volume
- Shoulder straps and hipbelt can be tucked away when the bag is checked
- Protected rear panel zip laptop sleeve and front panel vertical zippered pocket for books or other documents
- Tuckaway web loops to attach a shoulder strap (sold separately)
- Anti-Gravity suspension - feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack
- Adjustable harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt to dial in perfect fit
- Front stretch mesh pocket for quick storage of rain gear or extra layers
- Removable floating top lid with dual zippered pockets and web attachment points
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately)
- Osprey Games
- Woodfield, Craig (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 64 Pages - 01/19/2016 (Publication Date) - Osprey Games (Publisher)