Trail Name: Evergreen Lake Trail
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Date: March 7, 2020
Time at the Trail Head: 1:30 pm
Trail Length: 1.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 42 feet
Elev. at Trail Head: 7,079 feet
# of Hikers Passed: 37
# of Mnt. Bikers Passed: 3
# of Horses Passed: 0
Drive to the Trail
We took a little longer drive to Evergreen, through Morrison, Colorado on highway 74. The drive takes you through the beautiful town of Morrison, where the Red Rocks Amphitheater is located. It looked like many people where stopping and hiking there.
The highway from Morrison to Evergreen is a 2 lane highway, is a windy, low speed road but it’s not a bad thing as the scenery is incredible.
Our Day on the Trail
We met our friends at the Evergreen Lake House on the west side of Evergreen Lake at 1 pm on a gorgeous Saturday in March 2020. We talked with a few new friends (family members) and then hit the trail, walking along the south side of the lake first.
Even though it has been warmer and the sun has been out for a week, the trail was, not only “not” paved, but it had a lot of ice and water from the runoff, which made it more difficult for some. I had worn my waterproof hiking boots, and I was glad I did as they gave me more traction and allowed me to walk in the mud, snow and water without a care.
- O FIT Insole Thermal: Our proprietary insole is what we're known for. Molded to match the specific shape and construction of every pair we make, this purpose-designed technology delivers the kind of fit, feel and performance that's unmatched in the industry. These thermal insoles feature an insulated top sheet for warmth and a Mylar bottom sheet to reflect heat back to your foot, keeping toes nice and cozy.
- UPPER: Waterproof all-nubuck leather provide protection and durability on the trail. Featuring a molded rubber toe cap that protects your toes from trail debris and a heel counter that helps maintain a snug, Comfort heel hold over time.
- GRANITE PEAK MIDSOLE: Great for day hiking but burly enough for a multi-day backpacking trip. Featuring a TPU Chassis boosts stability and prevents stone bruising without inhibiting flex. Single-density EVA provides cushioning and comfort.
- GRANITE PEAK WINTERIZED OUTSOLE: Our quintessential hiking outsole built to be supportive and protective. Featuring our winterized rubber for increased grip in the cold. If you're tired of feeling rocks and roots underfoot look no further.
- B-DRY Waterproof/Breathable: There's no denying feet sweat and trails can get muddy. There's also no denying the ability of our proprietary waterproofing system, B-DRY, lets sweat escape while keeping moisture out.
It was an absolutely gorgeous day, with the temperature around 60 degrees F and it was pretty much a cloudless day.
There were a lot of people out and many people on the ice, some were even ice fishing.
We finally made it around the south side of the lake, after a lot of slipping and cautious moments, to the east side where the dam is. The water flowing over the dam is pretty to see and there is a small park with some statues at the bottom.
We finally made it to our lunch location at the Cactus Jack’s Saloon but their fryer was down so they were only serving a few things, so we decided to head to another restaurant.
We had a great time at lunch, visiting and seeing a little more of Evergreen. There were a lot of people out but it was great seeing everyone enjoying the day in Evergreen.
We headed away from downtown Evergreen and right along the Bear Creek that comes from Evergreen Lake.
There is another great vantage point of the park and the dam as you walk over the foot bridge as the west end of Evergreen Lake.
We walked back along the north side of the lake which was more dry, as the sun hits this area a lot more.
The 2-lane highway follows the trail along this side of the lake but it’s still an incredible walk with stunning pictures of the lake and the Rocky Mountains behind it.
There is another area on the north side of the lake with some shops and what looks like a great restaurant with outdoor seating. I’m planning on taking my wife there soon.
We continued on over to the west side of the lake, back to the Evergreen Lake House, which takes you over a board walk, that is above a wetland area.
There is also a golf course on the west and southwest side of the lake.
The Evergreen Lake House has some great places to hang out and even some great places for a nice picnic.
The area here is so beautiful and the time spent with friends was a lot of fun, and it was made better by being in an incredible location.
There is not a real hiking trail around the lake, but it is a beautiful walk. I would recommend still wearing hiking boots until the snow is truly melted.
I recommend coming to the Lake early as the morning sunlight from the rising sun is spectacular as the sun starts hitting the lake and the mountains to the west.
I would also invite you to try out one of the local breakfast places before making the walk around the lake as they restaurants get a lot more busy later in the day.
Check out this short video of the Evergreen Lake trail on YouTube.
I would love to know if you have had any experience on this trail or have other trails you love to hike. Leave a Comment Below or send me an Email.
Return to Home Page