Trail Name: Oh-Be-Joyful Trail
Location: West of Crested Butte, Colorado
Date: July 19, 2020
Time at the Trail Head: 9:00 am
Trail Length: 11.2 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,676 feet
Elev. at Trail Head: 9,103 feet
# of Hikers Passed: 40
# of Mnt. Bikers Passed: 0
# of Horses Passed: 0
Today was another research mistake. We were planning on hiking the Three Lakes Trail, west of Crested Butte, but we took the wrong turn, actually put in the wrong GPS location, and ended up at the Oh-Be-Joyful Recreation Area and campground.
We were both glad we took the wrong turn as this looks like a great place to camp, especially in the fall, when the aspens are turning yellow.
Drive to the Trail
The drive from Castle Rock to Crested Butte is absolutely stunning. The drive took us through Colorado Springs, Lake George, Buena Vista, Monarch, Gunnison and Crested Butte. There are so many beautiful views along the way and here are several photos along the route, but mostly when we reached Crested butte.
The first photo is west of Lake George, by Badger Mountain.
This photo is when we were south of Crested Butte Colorado, looking north to Crested Butte Mountain.
The rest of these photos are northwest of Crested Butte, on the drive to the trail.
My Day on the Trail
We arrived at the trailhead and were actually still confused and thought they had closed the road to the trail. I later found out that we were in the wrong location. We had decided to head back to Gunnison, thinking we would have a long hike, but this just goes to show you that we all make mistakes.
It was still a gorgeous day and the drive was spectacular.
We did not make the hike here at the Oh-Be-Joyful Trail, but here are a few photos of what you can expect to see on the hike.
This trail is classified as hard and 11.2 miles long, so be ready for a long day hike, or plan an overnight backpacking trip.
Make sure to do a thorough job of researching the trail and information on the town you will be traveling through.
The storms really pick up in the afternoons in Colorado in July and August so make sure you include some good rain gear.
Another thing to consider is the traffic on the weekend, going into the mountains or coming out of them. We made this drive extremely early on Sunday morning, and the traffic very light, however, we headed home at 2 pm and we were stuck in traffic, driving 5 mph for over 20 miles from Florissant to Divide.
- Avoid Getting Soaked - Sturdy and durable with a patented dry-touch finish, this waterproof jacket will keep you comfortable and protected during planned treks in stormy weather or as a just-in-case layer in your pack for unexpected downpours.
- The Next Generation Of Waterproofing - Our PreCip collection of pants and jackets is made with PFC-free NanoPro recycled nylon fabric that keeps you dry in the wettest conditions and is highly breathable thanks to an advanced microporous coating.
- Comfort In Any Condition - An attached adjustable hood and DriClime-lined chin guard enable the wearer to feel less clammy and more comfortable over a wide range of temperatures and conditions.
- Innovating To Improve The Human Experience - Marmot strives to deliver best-in-class comfort, protection and ease of use on every product. The PreCip Jacket features fully taped seams to prevent leaks and bonded storm flaps over the zippers to keep moisture out. Zippered pack pockets provide quick storage for your personal items.
- We Have You Covered - With Marmot, we warrant every product we make to be free of manufacturer defects. The best part is you do not need to register your product. Our lifetime warranty covers you from the moment you purchase our apparel or equipment.
I would love to know if you have had any experience on this trail or have other trails you love to hike. Leave a Comment Below or send me an Email.
Return to Home Page