Trail Name: Inner Canyon Loop Trail, Castlewood Caynon State Park
Location: Near Franktown, Colorado
Date: October 5, 2019
Time at the Trail Head: 7:30 am
Trail Length: 5.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 695 feet
Elev. at Trail Head: 6,608 feet
# of Hikers Passed: 19
# of Mnt. Bikers Passed: 13
# of Horses Passed: 0
Drive from Denver to Inner Canyon Loop Trail
I started my drive from Lone Tree, Colorado and the drive only took approximately 30 minutes. It’s nice easy drive through Parker and then to Franktown.
It’s a pretty drive from Franktown to the Castlewood Canyon State Park and the ground starts to rise up in front of you to where the park sits. The park sits on top of a large bluff, but others might call it something else, and then you walk down into the canyon for a gorgeous hike.
My Day on the Trail
We arrived at the Castlewood Canyon State Park around 7:30 and there were not a lot of people there yet, and this is partly due to our hike being in October. The park is beautiful and well maintained by the Colorado Park staff.
There are nice facilities at the park if you need them. The park is approximately 20 miles from the Rocky Mountains but there are some beautiful view of the park looking out towards the Rockies in several locations.
I want to add a side note here before getting to the trail. I recommend always layering your clothes when hiking in Colorado and one thing that always goes in my pack is my North Face TKA Glacier Quarter-Zip pullover. It’s light, it keeps me warm and it drys out quickly. I actually wear these to work a lot when it starts to cool off. Having great gear and clothing really helps me to enjoy my time on the trail.
My friend and I were completely amazed at how beautiful the Castlewood Canyon State Park was. We were expecting it to be nice but we were both extremely impressed with what we saw.
We started out at the top of the bluff and hiked clockwise around the two loops. You are immediately greeted with a gorgeous view of the rocks and a beautiful farm as you look southwest towards the Rockies and Pike Peak.
I had heard from some friends that there was a dam in the area that had collapsed in the past and we found out that it was here. The dam broke and flooded the area to the north of the park into Franktown. The dam broke in 1933 and you can read about it in the Colorado Encyclopedia. It was called the Castlewood Dam.
Here are several pictures of the dam today and some chunks that were washed downstream.
Here’s a large chuck of the dam that was washed downstream. It looked to be at least 20 feet high and as wide as it was tall.
Let’s get back to the beautiful trail.
Downstream of the dam, the trail winds along a creek and in and out of beautiful trees.
There are so many interesting rocks and formations in the canyon.
Soon we came to the north side of the Castlewood Canyon State Park that opens up and looks north towards Franktown.We then started heading back up to the top of the canyon and started running into different stunning scenery.
The view from the top of the canyon, looking West and Southwest was gorgeous and we later came to find out that many people use this area for climbing.
The trail started winding it’s way back to the trailhead but not before we reached a steep part that took our breath away a little.
As always, pictures do not do the Castlewood Canyon State Park justice. This park is close to Denver and the hike is mostly easy so it’s a great place to bring your family and friends, especially if they are from out of town and not use to the elevation in Colorado.
You can enjoy a video of my hike Castlewood Canyon State Park by Clicking Here.
Please leave a Comment Below or Email me if you have any questions or would like to share your experience with this area.
Return to Home Page
- 𝗕𝘂𝘆𝟮𝗼𝗿𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗲, 𝗔𝘂𝘁𝗼𝗦𝗮𝘃𝗲𝟱%✅A MUST HAVE ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKING GEAR - Having a quality trowel on hand when you need it the most is a MUST. And guess what?We have just the right ultralight trowelmade out of high-quality aluminumdesigned to be resistant to rust and corrosion as well as breakageeven in wet conditions and will last a lifetime.
- ✅DIG A HOLE QUICKLY AND EFFECTIVELY - Made specifically for ultralight backpackers, this compact and lightweight ultralight multitool gear will be able to easily dig a hole into hard ground, through roots, and even through rocky soil without leaving any trace behind, which makes it perfect for most hikers and outdoor enthusiasts as well.
- ✅PERFECT SURVIVAL SHOVEL -The sharp edges slice through tough ground and roots where other tools can't and get the job done as quickly as possible, while letting you get on with the rest of your day and enjoy it.
- ✅DURABLE AND FUNCTIONAL - It comes with an ergonomic, longer easy-grip handle, making it easy to maneuver and comfortable to hold and use. The scoop is large enough to quickly remove dirt, but still portable and small enough that is not going to take up much space when it is in your backpack
- ✅THE GO-TO POTTY TROWEL FOR EVERY CAMPER - There is no excuse to not have a trowel. Now you can scoop a cathole anytime nature calls with this lightweight shovel that is going to be able to perform exactly as you want. Use at the campsite to clean up debris, bury pet or human waste, and more.
- Best Money Ever Spent: The 9 pieces camping cookware kit includes 1 mini stove + 2 aluminum non-stick pots + 1 spoon + 1 fork + 1 knife + 1 stainless steel cup (16oz) + 1 sillicone insulated cup protector + 2 Carry bag.
- Anti-slip & anti-heat handles: The anti-slip pot handles and the silicone cup protector are all anti-heat and can effectively protect your hands from injury. One Kit meets all your needs! You will definitely be amazed by this professional outdoor backpacking cooking set!
- Convenient & Incredibly Durable: The mini stove can be folded to save space. So do the handles on the pots. Build with non-toxic anodized aluminum and strong structure, each pot is solid and lightweight. It conducts heat quickly and is a must-have survival gear that built to last for long time.
- Easy to Carry: Foldable handles on pot or stove can be folded to save space. Small size and portable, all the objects in this cookware set can be stored together in a mesh bag for convenient carry.
- Enjoy Cooking Anywhere You Go: This awesome camp cookware set is designed for anyone loves outdoor camping cooking with families and friends! It is super-portable, making it much more convenient for camping, hiking, backpacking, picnic and other outdoor activities!
- REJUVENATE YOUR BODY: Powerlix camping pad has revolutionary hexagon design made with body mapping technology. The hexagon air cells ergonomically support all of your pressure points, giving you superior support and comfort all night long, no matter how you sleep! The sleeping mat is also a camping gear must haves luxury, being comfortable yet lightweight. It rolls up small, making it effortless to carry around. The cot comes in a variety of color choices, sure to match anyone's personality.
- LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST: It's time to plan a trip! Our camping sleeping pads cannot be easier to inflate than with our inflating bag. It has a dual action, non-leak air valve to inflate and deflate the mattress. First store air in the bag and push it in like a pump. Light & small when packed, it won't cause backaches from its weight and fits easily in your backpack. Being insulated, it's perfect for the best night of sleep during adventure, hiking, camping, backpacking, in any weather!
- UNIQUE LONGLASTING DURABILITY: It's the mat of all mats! The self inflating sleeping pad is made of durable, outdoor grade materials. It includes thermal insulation, to keep your body warm from the cold winter ground. Our camping sleeping mat is 100% waterproof, making it perfect for any outdoor activities. You can say goodbye to sore backs and other discomforts normally left by bumps and rocks underneath the floor of your tent!
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR OUTDOORS: This exclusive camping sleeping pad also comes with storage bag, 2 repair kits, and a multipurpose inflating bag. A patch kit is also included, stitched into the top of the storage bag. The inflating bag was designed with you in mind, for all of your needs. In addition to inflating the mattress, this backpacking sleeping pad can be used for several different things, such as a pillow, a waterproof laundry bag, or a large waterproof airtight storage bag!
- AFTER SERVICE WARRANTY: PowerLix guarantees to have your back! Our US-based customer service means that you can trust that if you’re not satisfied for any reason, you can get a hassle-free refund or replacement. Don't hesitant to reach out if you have any questions. We want you to be nothing but happy with your new, top of the line, camping bed! We are confident of our camping pads for sleeping and know you will like it. That's why your purchase comes backed with our incredible warranty.
- ★The FORTH PRO generation chair of Moon Lence -To build the most Stable/Sturdy Chair; The most solid triangular structure with a central linkage pole to create a base of 2 single triangular, combined with the Aircraft Grade Aluminum builds the super rigid body.
- Lightweight, Yet Super Durable: Weighs only 2.7lbs, but our camping chair holds up to nearly 400lb/180kg.
- Cooling Chair Cover: Made of 600D Oxford ripstop ballistic nylon with double seams, to be real rip-proof. The mesh back allows airflow through your back, carrying away the sweat and heat.
- Super Easy Setup: The new central linkage design makes installation and disassembly extremely simple.
- Portable Outdoor Chairs for Anywhere: Compact enough for your backpack or carry-on luggage. Side pockets can store some minor stuff.
- [Be an Ultralight Backpacker Now] - The HOMIEE 50L hiking backpack weighs only 1.8 pounds and is designed for minimalist hikers with premium durability and comfort. This travel backpack uses high-quality YKK zippers for extra smoothness, the durable 420D waterproof nylon fabric can prevent tearing and abrasion caused by prolonged use. An ideal pack for anyone on a 3-5 day adventure, from beginners to group leaders to veteran thru-hikers! The size of this pack is airline-approved.
- [Full-Contact Back Suspension System] - The HOMIEE backpack is equipped with full-contact back suspension system, which places the backpack directly against the back. The mesh back padding design consists of two large pads positioned on either side of the spine. The pad creates a large ventilation channel to ensure the free circulation of air on the back, bringing you maximum stability and carrying comfort, suitable Christmas gift for hiking, mountaineering, skiing, cycling, camping, etc.
- [Balanced Weight Distribution on the Back ] - Widened and thickened S-shaped shoulder straps and highly elastic breathable back support can help relieve muscle soreness caused by prolonged use. The length of the shoulder strap can be adjusted, the chest strap and waist belt are designed to share the weight of the shoulders, it can be adjusted up and down, effectively avoiding the left and right movement of the backpack and reducing the discomfort caused by the left and right friction.
- [Innovative Features of Hiking Backpack] - The large U-shaped 2-way zipper opening and bottom opening allow you to quickly access the main compartment of the backpack. The backpack can be divided into upper and lower sections. The bottom section has wet/dry compartments to separate different gear. There is a hook in the main compartment designed for placing hydration bladder to keep you hydrated for a day (hydration bladder is NOT INCLUDED).
- [Multi-function & 1 Year Warranty] - The hiking backpack with rain cover can protect your stuff from the rain. There are also convenient zippered pockets on the top lid, sides and hip belt, two compression straps on each side. The top and bottom straps can hold items such as a rolled-up tent or sleeping bag. There is a whistle on the chest strap, and reflective webbing improves visibility. We offer 1 year warranty, please feel free to contact us if you have any problems.