Trail Name: Inner Canyon Loop Trail, Castlewood Caynon State Park
Location: Near Franktown, Colorado
Date: October 5, 2019
Time at the Trail Head: 7:30 am
Trail Length: 5.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 695 feet
Elev. at Trail Head: 6,608 feet
# of Hikers Passed: 19
# of Mnt. Bikers Passed: 13
# of Horses Passed: 0
Drive from Denver to Inner Canyon Loop Trail
I started my drive from Lone Tree, Colorado and the drive only took approximately 30 minutes. It’s nice easy drive through Parker and then to Franktown.
It’s a pretty drive from Franktown to the Castlewood Canyon State Park and the ground starts to rise up in front of you to where the park sits. The park sits on top of a large bluff, but others might call it something else, and then you walk down into the canyon for a gorgeous hike.
My Day on the Trail
We arrived at the Castlewood Canyon State Park around 7:30 and there were not a lot of people there yet, and this is partly due to our hike being in October. The park is beautiful and well maintained by the Colorado Park staff.
There are nice facilities at the park if you need them. The park is approximately 20 miles from the Rocky Mountains but there are some beautiful view of the park looking out towards the Rockies in several locations.
I want to add a side note here before getting to the trail. I recommend always layering your clothes when hiking in Colorado and one thing that always goes in my pack is my North Face TKA Glacier Quarter-Zip pullover. It’s light, it keeps me warm and it drys out quickly. I actually wear these to work a lot when it starts to cool off. Having great gear and clothing really helps me to enjoy my time on the trail.
- The North Face Size Chart
- Please note, the logo and hardware color may vary in styles marked as Prior Season.
- The North Face® TKA Glacier 1/4 Zip is a breathable pullover that's perfect for layering on hikes.
- Stand collar provides additional coverage when you need it.
- Reverse-coil, quarter-zip closure in front lets you vent excess heat. Binding on the cuffs and hem provide added durability. Embroidered branding on the left chest. 100% polyester. Machine wash, tumble dry. Imported. Measurements: Length: 28 in Product measurements were taken using size MD. Please note that measurements may vary by size.
My friend and I were completely amazed at how beautiful the Castlewood Canyon State Park was. We were expecting it to be nice but we were both extremely impressed with what we saw.
We started out at the top of the bluff and hiked clockwise around the two loops. You are immediately greeted with a gorgeous view of the rocks and a beautiful farm as you look southwest towards the Rockies and Pike Peak.
I had heard from some friends that there was a dam in the area that had collapsed in the past and we found out that it was here. The dam broke and flooded the area to the north of the park into Franktown. The dam broke in 1933 and you can read about it in the Colorado Encyclopedia. It was called the Castlewood Dam.
Here are several pictures of the dam today and some chunks that were washed downstream.
Here’s a large chuck of the dam that was washed downstream. It looked to be at least 20 feet high and as wide as it was tall.
Let’s get back to the beautiful trail.
Downstream of the dam, the trail winds along a creek and in and out of beautiful trees.
There are so many interesting rocks and formations in the canyon.
Soon we came to the north side of the Castlewood Canyon State Park that opens up and looks north towards Franktown.We then started heading back up to the top of the canyon and started running into different stunning scenery.
The view from the top of the canyon, looking West and Southwest was gorgeous and we later came to find out that many people use this area for climbing.
The trail started winding it’s way back to the trailhead but not before we reached a steep part that took our breath away a little.
As always, pictures do not do the Castlewood Canyon State Park justice. This park is close to Denver and the hike is mostly easy so it’s a great place to bring your family and friends, especially if they are from out of town and not use to the elevation in Colorado.
You can enjoy a video of my hike Castlewood Canyon State Park by Clicking Here.
Please leave a Comment Below or Email me if you have any questions or would like to share your experience with this area.
Return to Home Page
- 🍀【Extra Wide & 4" Thick Sleep Support with Pillow】- Our creative V shape design with pillow is made special with body mapping technology. The V shape air cells ergonomically support all of your pressure points, no matter lying flat or on side, 4 inch thickness & 27.6 inch width keep you body away from the ground and insulating the coldness, ensuring maximum comfort and warm for your sleep all night long. Let's enjoy a good sleep with pillow when outside!
- 🍀【Only 30s Stomp to Inflate & 1s Deflate】- 2021 upgraded foot press sleeping pad, NO MORE inflating by your mouth, hands or carry a pump, just simply stomp on the built-in air pump at the bottom of the sleeping pad for only 30 seconds to inflate. Look, prefect camping mat, start your adventure. The newest single-layer air release valve design, just open the deflation plug, only need 1 sec achieve super quick to deflate.
- 🍀【100% Waterproof & Tear Resistant】 - Built for a lifetime of adventures, the sleeping pad made of extra thick non-toxic 40d nylon provides a unique balance between low weight & durability. Thermoform sealing and TPU coating make the camping pad performance better in severe conditions(Rain, snow, cold winter, uneven ground with lumps & holes). You can say goodbye to sore backs and other discomforts normally left by bumps and rocks underneath the floor of your tent!
- 🍀【Super Lightweight & Compact Easy to Carry】 - The camping pad was designed with you in mind, for all of your needs. The ultralight sleeping mat weighs only 1.76lb, can be folded up to a compact packs as small as 11.81x5.51 in, even you don’t need to bring an extra pillow when go camping! Being the same size and weight as a small water bottle, just right fits into a backpack or suitcase, which is strongest camping gear. This outdoor item cover a sleeping pad, carry bag & 2 repair kits.
- 🍀【Enjoy Double Bed & Quality Assurance】 - Our Camping Pad is equipped with snap fasteners on the sides, with which you can connect two sleeping pad together easily, thus creating a double bed. Just try it, you will get the new joy of camping. This sleeping pad is 2021 the newest and unique style, we are confident that you will love our backpacking sleeping mat. If you are unhappy with our sleeping pad, PLEASE reach out to us directly and we will do our best for you.
- NEW - The most comfortable 4 season camping pad just got lighter and more backpack friendly; 22% LIGHTER than original Insulated Static V
- PERFECT FOR YEAR-ROUND OUTDOOR ADVENTURES: New high end fabrics to lighten the load, with all the built in comfort of the original ISV
- SLEEP COMFORTABLY ALL NIGHT LONG: Features v-chamber design and synthetic insulation to limit air movement and heat loss (R-Value of 4. 4); and side rails to help keep you on the pad
- SPECIFICATIONS: Packed Weight: 19. 6 Ounces; Packed Size: 5" x 8"; Inflated Size: 72" x 23" x 2. 5"; Inflation: 10-15 breaths
- INCLUDES: Stuff Sack, Patch Kit, and Lifetime
- 2" THICK SLEEP SUPPORT! YOU WILL LOVE THIS SLEEPING PAD! Want to sleep comfortably anywhere? No need to suffer with a cheap flimsy short outdoor sleeping pad! This quality portable camping mat pad is perfect. Super sturdy and extremely comfortable. Great for any sleep position.
- WEIGHS ONLY [14.5 OZ] AND PACKS DOWN TO THE SIZE OF THIN WATER BOTTLE - PERFECT FOR A BACKPACKING SLEEPING PAD! No worrying about room in your backpack No backaches due to heavy weight very convenient to carry. You’ll wish you found this years ago Comes with a sleek storage pouch.
- THIS TOUGH DURABLE LARGE COMFY SLEEPING PAD FEATURES A LIFETIME WARRANTY! - Economically and practically efficient With an impressive size blown up of 75 X 23 this camping mattress pad, will give you the comfort you need.
- TEAR RESISTANT - HEAVY DUTY RIPSTOP NYLON FABRIC – This lightweight sleeping pad is made of super strong waterproof and camping grade ripstop nylon fabric With a impressive 20 denier thickness used only for the strongest camping equipment designed to last a lifetime in the most severe conditions.
- HASSLE-FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT - NO NEED TO RETURN! We take pride in our perfect customer service record on Amazon, and we promise to treat you like family - even for gifts! In addition to our lifetime replacement, if you aren't happy with your purchase, we will simply refund your money - no questions asked - just let the reviews speak for themselves!
- NOT YOUR BASIC BACKPACK: Continues to be the top selling internal frame backpack on Amazon at a great price for all the included features
- VERSATILE QUICK TRIP PACK: Perfect backpack for men, woman and youth; best for 3-5-day backpacking trips; 4000 cubic inches (65 L) capacity; weighs 5 pounds 2.3 kg
- COMFORT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE: Multi-position torso adjustment fits wide range of body sizes; Durable open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum airflow and balance
- TRUSTED QUALITY: Hiking backpack with hundreds of verified 5-star reviews testifying to the quality and design; sleeping bag compartment, compression straps, and exterior pockets for strategic packing
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports